Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day of Remembrance: Memorial Day, May 30th, 2011

*In Memory of Harry Lew* 
Whether it is family, loved ones, friends or friends of friends, losing someone that you knew and cared for is something that is very difficult to explain.

I heard about the loss of my high school friend, Harry Lew a few days after he passed. I was in a meeting and was both unsure and unable to react. I often think "things happen for a reason" but in this case I do not agree. Events like this make me feel helpless. It feels so unreal because the last time that I saw and hung out with Harry he was laughing, telling us about his experiences, and of course tricking for everyone to enjoy. He was only 21 years old and had the ability to keep any event fun and interesting. Harry could always make us laugh no matter the situation. I am sorry that I did not have the opportunity to keep in touch to the best of my ability. 
Harry you are in my prayers, I wish you the best and hope that you are resting in Peace. We miss you!

=========================================================================
For me, Memorial Day serves as a reminder to not let war veterans go unnoticed. It is my opportunity to reflect and appreciate the hard work that veterans experience to keep our nation safe.  If you have a loved one, a friend, or a friend of a friend in the military, please thank them and let them know that their efforts to keep our nation safe does not go unnoticed.  

Memorial Day, May 30, 2011 is the perfect opportunity to give your time in honor of the 4,500 Americans who have died thus far in Afghanistan and Iraq.
 
How can you make a difference in veteran’s lives?
Join a team, donate, or Become a Soldier's Angel.
There are various opportunities from becoming a Soldier’s Angel Baker, creating supportive letters, sending hospital packages as a ‘Wounded TLC’ or being a part of the ‘pillow making’ group.

Soldiers Angel’s would like to insure that no soldier feels unloved.
For more information please visit their website or contact them online.

- Crystal Garcia
   Volunteer Center of Santa County Marketing Intern
======================================================================
For questions or additional volunteer opportunities, please visit our website or
contact Courtney Jones at americorps@scvolunteercenter.org.
Connect with us on Facebook & Twitter.

No comments: